worse book-movie transformations

Thinking about making your own game? Want to ask us a question? Want to find out what games we play and what books we love? This is the place!
Lolo
Footman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

worse book-movie transformations

Postby Lolo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:53 pm

As admin said :P and my opinion is Eragon
Are we wise when quiet or when speaking?

Admin
Ilúvatar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: worse book-movie transformations

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:11 pm

Haven't watched it, but my wife did and indeed, having read the books, she was not impressed.

My unquestionable #1 is Ender's Game. I *love* the book and not only I do not wish to see the movie again, but I can't recommend it to anyone. Reading the book again is a better investment of your time. The movie failed to capture the "feel" of the book, focusing WAY too much on the effects.
'I'll have it up in no time.' is an official term of the United Blood Elf Engineers' Union. It should not be interpreted as a reasonable estimation of the actual time it will take to complete a task in any way, shape, or form.

Lolo
Footman

Postby Lolo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:51 pm

That tends to happen with most movies honestely

loonytonks
Footman

Postby loonytonks » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:30 am

Defo eragon i was realy disaponted in it

Yermajesty
Scout

Postby Yermajesty » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:04 am

I have never before seen it happen that I recal but let me say the divergent movies were better than the books. Like the director was mature in his career but though the author had great ideas and an overall great story they were very young in their career or perhaps needed a better alpha testing crew to read it...lol

Orc
Visitor

Postby Orc » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:03 am

The Hobbit
Bruh

Vred
Support Guy

Postby Vred » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:39 am

For me, it has to be "1408" - an adaptation of a very creepy short story by Stephen King. They tried to transform a short, but tense 20 page story into a 90 minute monstrosity, and made it a dreadful borefest. Many King-based movies are guilty of this, but "1408" was the worst I can recall.

Elion
Footman

Postby Elion » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:25 pm

To me, it often depends whether I see the movie or read the book first. If I see the movie first, even if horrid, upon reading the book my alternate reality engine uses tools given by the movie director. If I read the book first, very few movies can match my own image of how it should all go.
Like admin said, movies often concentrate on special effects and fail to capture the "feel" of a book. They also may skip parts that may be hard to show, but that are essential to the plot.
Still... I guess there are some "worst movie" winners :)

Have you read Phillip Pullman, "His dark materials" ? They are imaginative, intense, dark, with mystical hints... Actually a lot more than hints, since the mysticism seems to be the central plot (though more so in the second and especially the third book).
None of that got exposed into the Golden Compass movie, the remake of the first book of the trilogy, where the only memorable parts were a giant talking bear crushing masses of unimportant people and Nicole Kidman flashing her devilish smile.
It's not a bug, it's a feature ! ;)

Lolo
Footman

Postby Lolo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Lol never read the book sadly

Elion
Footman

Postby Elion » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:25 pm

That's the sad thing - most people watch movies and never get to read the books. If the movies concentrate on flashy effects - which most do - and ignore essential plot paths - which often are hard to depict, or politically wrong - then we get a bad taste and we don't even want to read the book.
Like in the above movie - you can't blame them for avoiding the central plot of the book - apparently (I just checked wiki) the Catholic Church forced them to dilute it. (how many fantasy movies can be "bad" to that extent ? lol if that doesn't make you want to read it...)
It's not a bug, it's a feature ! ;)

Return to “Open Discussion”