Units and Battle

This section of the forum will hosts any discussions regarding Dragon Lords 2. You can share your experiences, discuss strategies, and find advice here. Please, remember to follow the forum guidelines while posting!
Admin
Ilúvatar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Units and Battle

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 pm

I have just published another post on our blog. This one covers the changes in units and battle we have implemented in DL2.

http://www.mds.pl/dragon-lords-2-units-and-battle/

Feel free to ask questions about the new system! I tried to cover it in as much detail as possible, but I've been working on it for such a long time that some things might be so obvious for me that I didn't mention them.
'I'll have it up in no time.' is an official term of the United Blood Elf Engineers' Union. It should not be interpreted as a reasonable estimation of the actual time it will take to complete a task in any way, shape, or form.

Lolo
Footman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Units and Battle

Postby Lolo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:06 pm

Almost made me fall from my chair. Seems amazing but nothing is as good until is tried :)
Are we wise when quiet or when speaking?

P§Y
Scout

Postby P§Y » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:29 am

I can't believe it magic that kills seige!!!!!! Omg omg thank you!!!!!!!

Sentinel
Visitor

Postby Sentinel » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:17 am

" Because of the maximum army limit you no longer have to put your entire population in army during the war."

There might be a misunderstanding here. We do it when we can because it's effective; we might have to because the other guy can and did.

The natural limiters are resources and time. Resource limitations on this are felt strongly in tournament, can be important in slow realms, and are almost nonexistent in HF, yet HF is currently the healthiest.

Yermajesty
Scout

Postby Yermajesty » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:39 am

I love the depth of army composition!! any real gamer wants to customize and show their superior gaming abilities!!! Am I right to think that one goal of this new battle system seems to be aimed at players not online not being such a handicap? It seems I saw hints of that in what you said about templates etc.

Elion
Footman

Postby Elion » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:27 am

The complexity of the army is intriguing... I look forward to seeing it in actual battle.
I can't make an opinion until I have seen how it all works, but I can't help mentioning a few... concerns.

1) I have seen many new players discouraged by the complexity of DL play. It seems DL2 is much more complex... As much fun as it is to have a variety of options, it may scare people off.

Even more - the complexity of DL is based on the many ways a limited set of features can be used, with creativity, to acquire advantages. In DL2, it seems there are limits set to prevent creativity.

2) in both sections that give more detail info on DL2, I have seen you mention certain feedback from DL, generally from people who don't play the game or weak players. Example: "players have complained about moving army units".

A lot of changes in DL, changes that alienated players, or lead to specific war strategies that everyone hates, were made based on such feedback.

Having "defender ally choose the time of war" seems like a very bad plan, for example. War start should be a strategic advantage.... And why would I ever declare a war if the enemy will choose a time that is bad for me ?

Having fixed limits of army based on land size sounds reasonable... in a CoC game style, non-competitive. You may not be aware of the fact that most of DL attraction, above other games, is that it plays to our competitiveness. It is FUN for a small kingdom to beat up a bigger one. Sadly DL has evolved to discourage such attempts using vp. And in DL2 it seems you are trying to prevent it from happening. Limitations in army, as well as spells having a lower effect when cast on a bigger kingdom and bigger effect on a smaller kingdom, it all seems to go in the same BAD direction as DL - to encourage bullying and prevent FUN attacks.

Of course my comments may be totally off, they are based on the game description... I look forward to checking it out if I can. I only wish it was possible to use my iPad.
It's not a bug, it's a feature ! ;)

Admin
Ilúvatar

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:58 am

'I'll have it up in no time.' is an official term of the United Blood Elf Engineers' Union. It should not be interpreted as a reasonable estimation of the actual time it will take to complete a task in any way, shape, or form.

Elion
Footman

Postby Elion » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:16 am

"Why do you say that HF is the healthiest?"
It is the only realm with constant wars.
In all the other realms, alliances sit without war or protection. I have seen zero wars at given times in the entire realm on all slow and xeno realms.
It's not a bug, it's a feature ! ;)

Vred
Support Guy

Postby Vred » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:21 am

Admin
Ilúvatar

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:30 am

Return to “General”