Land buy limits

This section of the forum will hosts any discussions regarding Dragon Lords 2. You can share your experiences, discuss strategies, and find advice here. Please, remember to follow the forum guidelines while posting!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Elion
Footman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Land buy limits

Postby Elion » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:04 pm

I understand that DL2 is planning to operate tourney style - locking land buy and only allow land gain through ranked war.

As soon as I read that, one question came to my mind -
what about the other war type ? Will land not be gained or lost ?

And then... my other old concern.
If land can only be gained in war, then newer players will never be able to compete with older players.
Players with a head start, of just a week, will distance themselves a lot from the rest if they are any good.
The typical "big" attacks from a defensive position, which means he is unlikely to be able to win against another "big" and will always prey on smalls.
That is why, the bigs will always get bigger and at some point become untouchable.

You may not be concerned about the fact that war styles are limited to hitting weaker players, and hitting stronger players is discouraged...
But I know you are worried when these bigs grow so big as to be outside of declare range.
This is though always a consequence of some players being better than others, and definitely a consequence of having a head start.
In tourney, which lasts only a week, the top land team can be out of wars by Wednesday (and it gets very boring).
On a realm without time limits, how can you prevent the best players, and the players with a head start, to distance themselves and be out of wars in a few weeks ?
Land buying allows others to catch up... So if they are any good they can pass those ahead of them, and if they are bad... bigs need feeding.

I speak because of personal concern - I am on vacation in August. If I start one month later, I will never be able to compete with people that have a month head start. Why would I even bother ?
You expect constant influx of new players. Why would they bother to play when they can never reach the top ?

All this without even considering the land buy lock from a resource stand point.

If you want to keep a competition going, and allow newer players to ever compete with the old ones, as well as keep bigger players within range of declare, how do you think land buy lock will help ?
It's not a bug, it's a feature ! ;)

Elion
Footman

Re: Land buy limits

Postby Elion » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:08 pm

My comment about hitting stronger players being discouraged...
In DL that is accomplished with the vp system.
In DL2, by making the effect of even equal forces, lead to a diminished effect against a bigger player !!!!

Admin
Ilúvatar

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:28 pm

We have not decided exactly how we're going to play out the "non-ranked" wars. Possibly by automatically reverting the land to the amount kingdom had at the moment of start of war, but that part is not set in stone yet.

As for your concerns regard growing, we have plans (it has not been implemented yet, but should be very soon) to make a "Legendary" ranking system, which would on one hand award players at top positions a form of currency which could be spent on exclusive items. However, staying on the top spots would add a steadily increasing debuff, adding your opponents certain amount of Battle Points in each battle, making winning harder and harder the longer you stay on top.

This approach would guarantee that at certain point in time you WOULD get defeated and lose land, rather than keep climbing, while at the same time making sure you have opponents to war, even if you are considerably bigger than your opponents.

Of course, that's a theory and we'll have to discuss it and test it in action. We have 4 months to figure out which things work and which don't.
'I'll have it up in no time.' is an official term of the United Blood Elf Engineers' Union. It should not be interpreted as a reasonable estimation of the actual time it will take to complete a task in any way, shape, or form.

Elion
Footman

Postby Elion » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:13 pm

That is a very interesting solution :D

Lolo
Footman

Postby Lolo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:21 pm

That was indeed interesting, yet if the top gets beaten once cos other player was very stacked with bonus since the top was there for a long time it would still be possible for him to quickly regain top.
Are we wise when quiet or when speaking?

Reven
Scout

Postby Reven » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm

Making staying at the top a challenge rather than being boring is certainly interesting. I'll be looking forward to how that's done.

Lolo
Footman

Postby Lolo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:32 pm

I agree with raven.Has to be tried but better giving us all a chance
Are we wise when quiet or when speaking?

Return to “General”